The Egg-head Family
Molly and I had great fun during the Easter holiday making this egghead family. If you’re feeling inspired you could also make a baby egghead by drawing a bib on the body or sticking on a bit of a paper doily – and rosy cheeks on the face. Cut the toilet roll in half too.
- polystyrene/styrofoam eggs for the heads
- acrylic paint for the eggs (it would be better if you mixed pink and white paint to make a skin colour but all I had was yellow)
- toilet roll tubes for the bodies
- coloured paper for the clothes
- craft glue (you could use double sided tape instead)
- pipe cleaners and shredded paper for the hair (you could also use knitting wool or ribbon)
- 3d glitter pens for decorating the mom’s dress (molly likes glitter and the 3d pens are less messy than loose glitter)
I used markers to draw on the face but you could also use pom poms, googly eyes or stickers. The fringed edge on Mom’s skirt was just made by cutting slits in the paper. I used two tones of paper for the dad’s clothes and drew the black line for the pants. Their arms are just cut pieces of paper, glued on at the shoulders.
To paint the eggs in one go and not get paint all over our hands I inserted a thin lollypop stick into the wide end of the eggs and propped the sticks up in lumps of playdoh on the windowsill to dry. You could keep this craft idea alive during the year by using styrofoam balls instead of eggs.
I got all the bits and pieces I needed for this holiday ‘distraction’ at Silkes Stationery shop, 64 Catherine Street, Limerick (061)417997