just call me Judge!!
Ever since last May, when I saw how giddy Molly and her best friend were about getting gift cards on their joint birthday, over the packaged gifts, I too have just given gift cards for any party Molly has been invited to. I guess the kids love having ‘the power’ to decide what they want to get themselves (under mommy’s supervision of course :)
I like the idea of giving a card that is multi-store, not just in a specific store, so depending on what is needed – baby chair, bed linen or a night away etc etc – the power to decide is with the gift receiver.
One4All, a subsidiary of An Post, the Irish postal service, recently launched their annual “Design a Gift Card Competition” and have invited design students from all over Ireland to design a Gift Card for their One4all card range. The focus for this year is to design a card to depict a celebratory event, such as Congratulations, Weddings and Engagement or New Baby.
The reason I’m talking about this here on MollyMoo is that I am one of the judges this year, and being that my formal training is in graphic design, all those moons ago!!, and my 9 to 5 is as creative director in Copper Reed Studio, I am excited to have a window into the current styles and creative thinking of graphic design students in Ireland – I am always on the look out for new talent :)
What will I be looking for:
– Being a self confessed type nerd I will be looking for well considered and beautiful typography
– I will also be seeking out an illustrative approach over photographic
– I’m looking for design innovation, a fresh approach to what one would traditionally expect to be light in tones, and possibly floral, for the celebrations listed above
– The winning designs need to be distinctive, simple and intuitive that consumers will be attracted by
– Consideration of the commerciality of the card: it can’t just look good, it has to sell too
– Presentation of the ideas will also be important
The closing date is 25th October 2013 @ 5pm
Come on design students….. show us what you got :)